Sunday, March 17, 2013

My Orange Duffel Bag


March 13, 2013
Our YW activity fell through so last minute we decided to go listen to Sam Bracken, author of "My Orange Duffel Bag."

I'm glad we got kicked out of the temple. Ok, so we didn't get kicked out but apparently you can't just waltz up to the temple and clean folks' windshields as a secret service.

Sam grew up in Las Vegas, NV abused, addicted to drugs, and abandoned. He faced insurmountable odds and triumphed with the help of incredible mentors and friends who wouldn't give up on him and a determination to "not be like them anymore." I left feeling inspired to be that agent of change in someone's life. It was so refreshing to hear from someone who grew up and experienced everything that I try to help prevent in my job professionally and survived. And not just survived, triumphed.

And as Sam said, that one life is worth saving.

{And yes, that is THE orange duffel bag. Watch the trailer to his book.}

No comments:

Post a Comment