Friday, October 11, 2013

Tooele


September 18, 2013
I went to the booming metropolis of Tooele today for work. A site visit to the local health department there. It was actually a gorgeous day to drive about 40 minutes outside of Salt Lake. I so wish I had stopped and taken a picture of the Great Salt Lake.

As I pulled into town, I was flooded with a childhood memory. My Grandpa Allen was a psychology professor for years at USU and he'd often teach extension classes at the USU satelitte campuses to earn some "fun" money. I got to go to Tooele with my grandparents for a few days while he taught a class in Tooele. Boy did I feel like a celebrity staying in a hotel with a pool! Watching T.V. all afternoon while my Grandma clipped her newspapers and had a nap. And walking with my Grandma to the biggest, most awesome store down the street in my young mind... Walmart! Oh how my expectations have changed :)

But it really was the best weekend. Just me and my Grandma hanging out together, talking, laughing, swimming, shopping. We even bought matching Keds sneakers (block colors in maroon, navy, forrest green and I think a tanish color) at Walmart and for years (until my feet outgrew them), we'd wear them proudly together like twinners. I'm sure she still has them buried in her closet somewhere.

The Best Western hotel was still there but the Walmart that I thought was the coolest place I'd ever been to in my entire life at the time was gone. Apparently the Super Walmart ran it out of town and the old building is now a shopping strip with several stores. It made me a little sad.

I should venture to Tooele more often. As the locals say, "It's only 300 miles out and 30 miles back."

No comments:

Post a Comment