Saturday, May 25, 2013

Iron Chef


May 1, 2013

Every six months or so we hold an Iron Chef competition to see which team of youth in the ward has the best tasting, the best looking, the best use of a "secret" ingredient, and best presentation of main course or dessert. This competition focused on desserts. The youth pick their own recipes and have 60 minutes to cook and present their dishes to a panel of judges.

Well, with desserts our recipes consisted of rice crispie treats, no bake cookies, homemade Oreo's, and my winning recipe (the youth do need some help) peanut butter bars. I encouraged them to make peanut butter bars because they were a ward favorite from an older gentleman who kept the recipe under lock and key until he moved and gave it to me!

I'll admit I may have helped the peanut butter bar team a little more than I should have. But what I didn't help with was their presentation of the dish.... a unicorn. And it was one of our young men who decided to shape those peanut butter bars into something fun. That is exactly why I love serving the youth. They are so dang fun to hang out with! And very, very creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment