Saturday, May 25, 2013

Lacrosse Cake

 

May 16, 2013
When Cole said he wanted a lacrosse birthday party I didn't think it would be that hard to find a lacrosse themed cake. Mind you, I don't bake or decorate birthday cakes myself but the bakery would surely have a lacrosse design.

I was wrong.

The bakery only had one option. A photo frame outlined in green with a teeny, tiny lacrosse stick in the corner.

Seeing as how there's no reasoning with a three-year-old when he has his mind set on something, I ordered it. It just wasn't worth the battle. Plus, I couldn't get to the bakery when they were open to ask if they'd do a custom cake and we'd decided to throw a last minute  cake and ice cream party for Cole's birthday in Logan, right before we went out of town on vacation. I didn't have much time for anything but the one, single lame-o lacrosse design in the bakery's cake books.

Fast forward a few days and I get a call from the bakery. The gal decorating the cake is a little confused because I never brought in a picture to put on the photo frame cake. When I explained the situation with Captain Underpants and how the only thing he wants is a lacrosse cake and a lacrosse birthday - and reminding her several times that he's three and has a mind of his own - she told me she'd see what she could come up with.

The rest of the day I kept hoping that maybe she'd feel sorry for me and come up with something a little better than what I'd originally ordered.

She far exceeded my expectations.

Jeff picked up the cake so I didn't know what to expect. When I took a peek inside the box, I squealed with delight! I even called the bakery like a crazy woman and rambled on and on to the poor kid who answered the phone about how the lady who decorated the cakes today had made my kid's entire day and deserved a raise or bonus or at least employee of the month. He said he'd relay my message. Pleasing my stubborn child is definitely worthy of some sort of reward.

Happy birthday Fern-boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment