Thursday, July 11, 2013

Historic Ships


June 4, 2013
My brilliant plan to see Fort McHenry (birthplace of the Star Spangled Banner) fell through today when I missed the last water taxis out there. I was totally bummed.

To console myself, I took a tour of two of Inner Harbor's historic ships. The USS Constellation (aka, "Old Iron Sides") and the USS Torsk. The USS Constellation was a Civil War ship built in 1854 and used to stop slave ships. It is a beautiful, old, wooden ship. The USS Torsk was a World War II submarine which sunk the last enemy ship of the war in 1945.

I can tell you after ducking my head to walk up and down the stairs of the USS Constellation, and ducking to walk through the doors of each section of the USS Torsk, I was not cut out for sea legs. I can't imagine living on either one of these historic ships. It would be absolutely terrifying with the creaks of the wooden planks or steam and bombs sitting right under your bunk.

I definitely have a new respect for Navy men.

No comments:

Post a Comment