Thursday, April 25, 2013

Aggie Roots


April 9, 2013
I took my annual pilgrimage back to my Aggie roots today.

The ole HPER (pronounced "hyper") building to teach a class for one of my favorite undergraduate professors. This year's topic? Storytelling in public health. Something near and dear to my heart. And something we as public health professionals really stink at and are now facing the dire consequences of not sharing our story as our country is literally re-defining public health in the wake of health insurance reform without public health... not healthcare reform mind you.... oh don't get me started!

Anyway. I love this building. I heard it's getting torn down for some new fancy schmancy building which makes me sad. I will miss all the quirks. They still have the same old desks in the classrooms as when I was there eons ago. And the bathroom stall doors only go up to my chest, which I always thought - and still do - was humorous for anyone over 5' tall.

As I was sitting in the lobby on the same old chairs they've always had, it dawned on me why I throw on a tee-shirt and sweat pants the second I get home. It's all because of my Aggie roots in the HPER building. Everyone who majors in health, physical education, or recreation dresses in sweats, tee-shirts, shorts, and workout gear.

No wonder it drives Jeff crazy that I look like an old hag the minute he gets home. He spent all his USU waking hours in that stuffy business building.

I'll tell you one thing, I'll take comfort and saving people's lives over money any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment