Thursday, April 25, 2013

Grandpa


April 16, 2013
We went to dinner with Jeff's side of the family a few weeks ago. With two people who have more food allergies than I even thought possible, several "meat eaters" who like shrimp, two pipsqueaks who want to eat only ice cream, and me who falls somewhere in the middle the natural choice was Golden Corral.

I always roll my eyes at a buffet until we start eating and I realize everyone - including the kids - are happy as clams.

But tonight when we walked in, I thought to myself, "I wonder if my Grandpa is here for dinner?" and started looking around.... then I remembered. It was like a physical shock to my body to realize he wasn't going to be there. My heart sank and I almost cried.

Mourning the loss of someone you love seems to hit you at moments when you least expect it. Like tonight when you see a stack of colored plates at a buffet restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment