Thursday, April 25, 2013

Shoes


April 10, 2013
I have decided you can learn a lot about a person from their shoes.

We had our Young Women "New Beginnings" program tonight. The theme was "Stand Ye in Holy Places" so naturally we - and 50 gazillion other YW groups thanks to Pinterest - went with a shoe theme.

We had each girl bring their favorite pair of shoes and write a short explanation of why they were their favorite shoes and how these shoes helped them to stand in holy places. I can tell you our girls are amazing. I was so impressed and humbled by their written testimonies.

As I'm sure they were with me after I presented to them my "Knowledge" and "Good Works" shoes. A pair of fluffy cheetah print slippers that remind me of all the good works mothers do in the home and one embarassingly, worn-out, stinky, falling apart (No seriously, they are falling apart from the inside out and the outside in. Just look at the right shoes' broken heal, worn clean through the leather until there's nothing left but the metal heel and broken plastic.) pair of black heels I wore the day I graduated with my Master's degree and which have seen one too many meetings as a public health professional.

Perhaps we should have added an element of worldliness to tonight's program and had the girls go shoe shopping with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment